Last Tuesday afternoon, there was a horribly obnoxious smell throughout Green Bay. I thought that there was a natural gas leak somewhere and my neighbor thought that someone was burning garbage in their fireplace. When Wednesday morning's paper came out, the mystery was solved. Apparently, the Kaukauna paper mill smells were reaching Green Bay for only the second time in 29 years! Green Bay residents can be grateful that they do not live in Kaukauna.
According to Patrick Schillinger, president of the Wisconsin Paper Council, an industry trade association, "there's nothing dangerous about" the smell. Sorry Pat, but I am not so sure we should take your word for it.
Here is the Press-Gazette article:
Paper mill odor wafts north, confuses some
Can an odor "waft"? I know that people can waft, in order to detect an odor, but can the odor itself waft? I don't think so. It can be wafted, but it can't waft.
I was one of the confused. That is not saying much though as I am perpetually confused.
eddy out,
rich
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My category of downtown Green Bay smells: (from the three years I lived off Broadway street)
-Pickles! Reminds me of jogging...
-Vegetables (off of the Broadway plant, closed now)
-Chalk? some product shipped from the port...
-Cookies!?mmmm, rare but pleasant
-Rarely, bad smells from the rending plant.
Post a Comment